FIRST OFF- HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone! I hope 2014 brings you much love and happiness.
Apparently today is officially the most depressing day of the year as people return to work after a few weeks off. So, to counter this I wanted to look back and think about the BEST things that happened to us all in 2013… and the things we’re looking forward to in this fresh, shiny new start.
They say the best things in life aren’t things… and I have to agree, I may have enjoyed buying yet another black dress (what can I say? I’m a dress-aholic…) and I’ve had to have my new christmas kindle prised out of my sticky hands a couple of times, but all my favorite memories of last year are not shopping-based, but are the times I spent with my family and friends. Priceless. I haven’t many resolutions this year, but one of them is to connect with people more and spend good, fun times with them.
Highlights for last year include;
1. Spending four days away with my husband (the first time we’d been away on our own for longer than one night in 17 years!) and thankfully finding things we wanted to talk and laugh about
3. Cheering my sons and husband over the line as they completed the Auckland half marathon
4. Dancing at a ceilidh with my husband’s work mates, tripping over our feet and stomping to great music
5. Catching up with writing friends and editors, and making new friends at conferences in Atlanta and Wellington
6. Spending this last Christmas with my sister, her husband and four year old son, which was absolute pure joy
Oh- and seeing in this new year at a hat party (if you’re ever thinking of a fun cheap fancy dress theme, this is a great one! I’m at the front in the witch’s hat!)
Things I have to look forward to: the rest of the school summer break with my kids (4 more weeks-a blessing and a curse!). A camping holiday with mates. Hopefully, a trip to England to see my Mum, my family and my UK-based writing pals! I can’t wait.
So tell me- what made you smile last year and what are you looking forward to most in the next 365 days?