Suffering from post holiday woes? Wish you were back in your sitting room relaxing, munching goodies and without a care in the world? I have some suggestions to help ease the new year in…
- READ! Read and read some more! Whisk yourself away from reality with a good yarn.I have been buying up a storm and I really don’t know which book to read next. I’m currently loving the Midwives-On-Call series and am enjoying the spin-off 4 part series Midwives-On-Call at Christmas by Scarlet Wilson, Robin Gianna, Tina Beckett and myself. I was also totally intrigued by this black eyed susans cover, so this may be the next one on my TBR pile…
2. De-clutter! I have been perusing the book ‘Spark Joy’ by Marie Kondo, the tidying guru, who tells me that I must only keep things that give me joy and to throw the rest out. I made a start on my wardrobe and boy, do I feel better...there’s something very therapeutic about having a good sort out.
3. Spend time in the outdoors… breathing in fresh air apparently makes us smarter and less-stressed. Last week the Doc and I went a-hiking on the West coast and had a lovely time- apart from the mini landslide I got caught in, but thankfully the only thing really damaged was my ego 😉 It really was lovely to be out, using muscles that hadn’t been used for a while, listening to nature and thinking, planning…and sometimes just lovely silence.
4. Stroke a pet… I have always wanted a dog but we just don’t have a fenced property and the neighbours and a busy road are too close. But I just spent 5 days with two crazy labradors and now I absolutely can understand why people feel like dogs are part of the family- just being with them brings a smile to your face! Failing getting a pet- visit some animals and get hands on!
5. Make plans… life is always better when there’s something to look forward to, be it a lunch date with friends or a trip of a lifetime…always have something in the diary that makes your heart sing (even if it’s just a walk, some ‘me’ time, or window shopping)
What are your tips for staying positive post holiday?