I’m Charlotte the new Editorial Assistant for the Harlequin/Mills and Boon Medical Romance team. And seeing as I’ve been here at True Love towers for a couple of months I thought it was high time I introduced myself—but bear with me, writing about yourself is a lot harder than I first thought! Although as we’re on the countdown to Christmas and the Medical Romance Christmas line-up is in full swing I think it best to start there.
I’ve always been one of those people that was adamant Christmas celebrations should be saved until December and in our house the smooth melodies of Michael Bublé’s Christmas album and whimsical sound of ‘Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas’ (my favourite Christmas song) are not normally heard before December 1st. But recently I’ve realised how very wrong I was! Working at Harlequin/Mills and Boon you get the holiday season in abundance and I’m loving it! Not only do I get to work with the wonderful and real-life Medical Romance authors and our editorial team but the fact that our gorgeous doctor heroes start appearing in Christmas books from October means I can certainly see the benefits of the extended holiday season.
But that’s just one more thing to love about Christmas. For me the real magic of Christmas isn’t just the day itself but those few weeks in the run up to the special day and the anticipation that builds as each and every single chocolate is released from its little advent calendar prison!
So here are some of my favourite parts:
- The cold weather! Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean actually being out in it! Being a netballer, I have had to endure the wind, rain and snow willingly on occasion, but I do not normally enjoy having to brave the elements. There is, however, a wonderfully magical appeal to curling up on the sofa with a mug of tea and the latest episode of Grey’s Anatomy (though it’s not the same since the loss of McDreamy) and watching as the weather wages war outside.
- Family get-togethers. I love spending time with my family and Christmas for me is really an excuse to do just that. Our adaption of Radio 4’s ‘Desert Island Disc’s’ into a family Christmas event has become an annual favourite.
- Christmas trees. Is there anything more wonderful than the smell of a Christmas tree?!
- The lights! Everything is lit up like, dare I say it, a Christmas tree, giving everything a beautiful glow and making the journey home from work much more festive.
- The chance to read a good book (or ten!). With the extra time off at Christmas the chance to read a good Christmassy book has finally arrived. And mixing it with a little romance makes it all the more magical. Indeed Medical Romance is stuffed full of Christmas crackers this year. From a wonderful Christmas duet by Emily Forbes and Amy Andrews, released in October, to a full on Christmas line up in November and December, including a gorgeous four-book seasonal linked miniseries set in maternity from Tina Beckett, Kate Hardy, Susannne Hampton and Scarlet Wilson and fabulous festive stories from Alison Roberts, Annie, O Neil, Janice Lynn, Amy Ruttan, Carol Marinelli, Sue MacKay, Susan Carlisle and Louisa Heaton. I can’t wait!
I’d love to hear from you so leave me a comment below (and tell me all about what makes your Christmas so special!)