I’m always on the lookout for a great new book. I mean … who isn’t? But not everyone knows how to go about finding something new. They stick to the same old, same old authors, or they don’t read outside of a certain genre, because they don’t want to waste time reading a book they’re going to have to put down after 50 or so pages.
You want to know the author knows what they’re doing.
You want to feel as if you’re in safe hands. So these are my tried and tested methods for finding something new.
- If there’s an author you really, really like, then go to their website or Amazon or Barnes & Noble and look up their backlist. Websites are usually the best places to go, as they’ll generally list them all. You might find a title that you hadn’t been aware of and generally if you love that author, you’re gonna love most of their work.
- Join book groups on Facebook. There are some fabulous ones to belong to, where readers (or book bloggers) get together to recommend great titles and word-of-mouth, recommendations from fellow readers who like the same sort of stuff as you, is GOLD. (The Book Connectors, is one group on FB, that I belong to.)
- Goodreads is an excellent place to look for new books. You can search by genre, or they have forums on there, or lists where people recommend books that are like other books. It might mean picking up a book by an author you’ve never even heard of, but if you love it, then hopefully there’s a new backlist of books you’ll want to check out!
- http://www.whoelsewriteslike.com Self-explanatory, really. You go there, punch in a name of a favourite author and they’ll tell you who writes exactly like them. You can Browse genres and authors there and it’s a veritable mine of information.
- And I couldn’t end this without recommending your local library! Ask your librarian! These people know books inside out and if you’re stuck as to what to read next, ask for their help! Look at their displays – see what they’re featuring that week. They love to hook you up with a great book, so use your library!
Of course, if you know of another method, then please share it with everyone! Comment below, I’d love to hear of ways in which you find something new to read.
And in the spirit of a little cheeky self-promotion, my RoNA Rose Finalist book, Their Double Baby Gift is still available to purchase at all good bookstores, online or real. It’s one of my favourites and my hero, Major Matt Calloway, is a real sweetheart!
But if you’re looking for my latest, then A Child To Heal Them is released next month!
Might saving a little girl…
… help mend their broken hearts?
When ex-doctor Tasha Kincaid escapes to Africa to teach, haunted by the loss of a young patient, she never expects to find now-widowed Quinn Shapiro—the doctor who once broke her heart. But a pupil is sick and she needs his help! As they care for little Abeje, Tasha finds herself falling for Quinn again… Could healing this child help them embrace a future together?